Sunday, October 3, 2010

Settling In

I have to begin this entry by apologizing for the long gap between blogs!  My last week and a half has been very busy and on-the-go.  I have been busy traveling and working hard to get ready for Lebone’s 10 year anniversary dinner next week.

Last weekend, I, along with 8 other YAGM volunteers, attended the ELCSA Young Adults League conference.  The conference was held at a school between Pietermaritzburg and Durban.  I was very excited to attend the conference, learn more about ELCSA and see the other volunteers.  As much of my travel has been so far, my journey from Bloem to Kwa-Zulu Natal was an adventure.  Jessie, the volunteer living in Kimberley, was on the bus that was to stop in Bloem and pick me up.  This is when I first truly experienced “African Time.”  Our bus was to leave at 6am, and we didn’t get on the road until 9:30am.  But the liveliness and excitement from everyone on the bus made it much more bearable.  People were already singing, laughing, smiling, and happy to be going to the conference.  Jessie and I were treated with random snacks, food and drink from people who were better prepared than we were.

We were the last to arrive at the conference, where the other volunteers were anxiously awaiting us.  (A bit of an over statement, but that’s what I’d like to think!)  It was great to see everyone again, share laughs and hear all about our different experiences. 
Overall, the weekend was very informative.  We got a great sense of the logistics of the YAL, what they are trying to accomplish, and how other members of ELCSA are involved in the League.  We were able to hear insight from Bishop Biyela of Eastern Diocese, Bishop Bowles of Cape Orange Diocese, ELCSA General Secretary Rev. Mathe, and even our own Rev. Brian Konkol.  In addition to learning about ELCSA and the YAL, we met many wonderful people who we are sure to see again.  And of course, being back together with the rest of the volunteers was the icing on the cake.  It was special to be able to share our stories, experiences, struggles and joys.  It was a very productive weekend.

After the busy time in Kwa-Zulu Natal, Jessie and I headed back West.  We are the furthest West out of any of the volunteers, so we are destined to share many bus rides together.  Due to some transportation issues, Jessie actually stayed at Lebone until Friday, serving alongside me and the other workers here.  I don’t know if she expected to work as hard as we did!  Over the last few days that she was here, we planted over 100 trees, built 3 tables and painted them, made over 100 coasters, moved piles of rubbish, made wooden planks for fencing, and had a braai.  Willem sure did take advantage of an extra pair of hands around!

After four weeks of living in South Africa, it still feels surreal that I am living here.  It really hits me when I’m traveling through the Free State, (the province I live in.)  The rolling Drakensburgs Mountains in the distance with endless golden waves of tall grass between each rocky protrusion serve as a humble reminder that I am actually here in South Africa. And the more time I spend here the more I realize this is not a trip, it’s not a vacation. This is my life. I am living here. This is my home. And as I spent the past weekend away from my placement, I felt me missing it for the first time. I missed the kids, the workers, the fields, dogs, sights, sounds, everything.  That means this is home, a place where I feel comfort, love and a sense of belonging.  Never did I expect to call a place thousands of miles away from Moorestown, New Jersey home.  But I'm here, and can't wait to see what the future brings.  
Sunset over the trees at Lebone

2 comments:

  1. It's really awesome to see how well things are going. That picture is tremendous. Keep up the amazing work. It will be an experience that you always remember, so enjoy every second.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you have found a home away from home at your placement.

    ReplyDelete