Monday, October 11, 2010

It just gets better and better

No matter how amazing each week is that passes, things seem to just get better.  This past week was a busy, event packed week that surpassed any expectations I had. 

On Thursday, Lebone had their 10 year anniversary gala dinner.  We spent all week feverishly working to prepare the hall, and all the little details to make the event a success.  As Thursday approached, it was finally time.  Over 100 guests came to the dinner, in which everything was meticulously set, planned and decorated.  People came from all over the country to celebrate the last 10 years of Lebone.  The night included a wonderful dinner, speeches from those who have made Lebone what it is today, performances from the children and the announcement of a new logo, name, and website.  The Lebone House is now “Lebone Village.”  Please visit the new website and learn more about this wonderful place.


The Lebone Junior Choir performing at the dinner


On Friday, I had a braai at my cottage for 5 of the children.  Since there are over 40 children living here, I don’t get much time to spend with each child.  So I thought it would be a good idea to have a series of smaller gatherings where we can relax, braai, and get to know each other better.  The first one was a success and I look forward to next week’s!

Saturday morning I got to do something I didn’t think I’d get a chance to do for a year.  I went golfing!  Frances, Willem’s son-in-law, picked me up and we hit the course early in the morning.  Surprisingly, I didn’t do too bad.  Being able to play a round of golf in South Africa was something I never thought I’d be able to do.  I can now check that one off the ol’ bucket list.

Later on Saturday, I joined the Monama’s at their house.  Saturday night I had the opportunity to attend the Macufe cultural festival, a massive culture festival held in downtown Bloemfontein.  The festival had been going on for a week, but Saturday was the big night of music.  There were performers from all over South Africa and Africa.  I saw such performers as Tshepo Tshola and internationally known Salif Keita, whose voice would be recognized by most of you.  It was a great atmosphere, with thousands of people lounging in the rose garden, relaxing and listening to good music.

At Macufe


Sunday morning I attended church, and afterwards had a feast of a braai at the Monama’s.  After eating Vors (sausage,)  chicken (chicken,) Pap (hard to explain,) and other veggies, we headed to the Macufe Cup soccer match between Bloemfontein Celtic and Kaiser Chiefs.  The Kaiser Chiefs are from Johannesburg, and are the most followed team in the nation.  The stadium had an unbelievable buzz as soon as you entered through the gate.  There were thousands of people, sporting their striped green and white uniforms and singing and dancing during the entire match.  The winner of this game would win the Macufe Cup, a prize that had the buildup of a weeklong festival.  After 90 minutes of regulation, the score was 1-1.  The game came down to penalty kicks, which intensified the game even more!  After 4 shots by both teams, all the Celtic had to do was score and they’d win.  And that’s exactly what they did.  The stadium erupted and it felt like I had just witnessed a World Cup victory, not a Macufe Cup one.  But that is why they say the Bloemfontein Celtic fans are some of the best in the South African soccer league.  It was great to be a part of it.

Rev. Monama and I having a great time at the Macufe Cup


The weather is getting hot, and the Sun continues to be bright.  This week should be a good one, just as long as the Phillies keep winning!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Andrew! Sounds like things are going great for you over (or is it down--I guess both) there! Great to hear.

    I don't know if you have an email or not, so I thought I'd communicate with you this way.

    I would love to hear more about the food that you're enjoying (or at least eating) there--traditional stuff, etc. I'd post something on my blog about it and link to yours. No rush, but whenever you get a chance, it would be great.

    Speaking of great--how 'bout them Phils! Very exciting. I keep trying to explain to Jake that it's really not like this every year--except for him, it is!

    Take care and hope to hear from you soon--
    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey buddy! So good to hear from you. You are already quite the chef... make sure to remember how to make some of those great foods when you come home! Sounds like you are living inspired - sometimes it takes going out on your own to find faith and truth. Take care and God bless.
    -David

    ReplyDelete